Tuesday 13 September 2011

It's a Small World Afterall

So thus far I have been very lucky with the company I have had in France! First I met Selena here, which was magnificent because nothing beats the company of one of your best friends (especially since it is already the third foreign country we have managed to visit together after just meeting less than three years ago!). Next was Fouad inviting me on the wonderful hike and he has continued since to be extremely kind. Then, this past weekend I was able to meet up with Belinda, which opened yet another small chapter in my year-long journey in France.

This is how I met Belinda - I met my friend Aaron in the summer of 2007. We were both placed with families in Bienne/Biel, Switzerland for a Lions Club Exchange. We immediately became friends and spent most of our time at my host family or out in the city making Swiss friends - going to the "discotheque", swimming in the nearby lake, going to the "open air cinema", attempting to learn french, or going on daytime excursions. It was an amazing experience and played a big part in nurturing my extensive love of traveling (as I am sure many, or even all of you know). Anyways, Aaron and I parted ways at the end of the trip - him back to Ohio and I back to Woodstock, although we both would soon begin our journeys through university. We spent 3 weeks with our host families and then two weeks in a camp with all the exchange attendees across Switzerland where we made many other amazing friends (the summer later I went to visit another amazing friend I made - Margo in Ukraine. I believe Aaron has also seen at least one other person from our exchange). Needless to say there were quite a few tears the day we all left - we became so close so fast spending 24/7 together for 2 weeks and experiencing many new and exciting things that only that group would ever fully understand (we got a little "crazy" at times).

So, after four years I finally made it to Boston to visit Aaron at Harvard. I went during reading week, as may family took off to the Caribbean (and yes reading week is during my birthday, and NO I was NOT invited to the Caribbean. My family is very lucky I think they're so awesome). I was extremely curious to see Harvard, especially since I would be able to see it 'from the inside' so to speak. I was also, obviously, very excited to catch up with Aaron and maybe re-live some of the great memories we made in Switzerland. While I was there I met one of his best friends, Belinda, who I thought was absolutely wonderful - extremely funny, open to our crazy stories of Switzerland, not annoyed by my talk of my recent trip to NZ despite being a Kiwi, and very kind. She even took me to one of her health-related classes so I was able to see what a class was like, and in a subject I am interested in.

So that is how I met Belinda. Quite the chance encounter. I never would have guessed that we would once cross paths again, let alone in Paris! She happened to be in London unexpectedly the last few weeks and saw my profile picture on Facebook and I guess thought "Why not go to Paris, while I'm so close". She contacted me early last week and we had plans for a visit for Saturday by mid-week!

I met her at La Gare Nord near Monmatre in Paris Saturday around 13H (1 pm in France language). We were able to walk to the hostel I had found called Vintage Hostel. However, one annoying thing to be noted is that at BOTH the two hostels I have stayed at in Paris have what they call a 'lockout'. Basically the hostel is closed to all guests from 11pm-4pm. I don't really understand it, I think it's for cleaning, but it is very inconvenient. They all do have baggage storage, but if you plan to stay more than one night you have to take your things out of the room everyday, store them, and then return them again. It's a bit of a pain since finding an elevator is like finding a needle in a haystack, even if there are six floors. We were lucky ours did have one (although Aloha hostel Selena and I stayed in did not).

I happened to luck out completely with my chose of hostel. Not because of the price (we booked so late all the cheap ones were booked up, but it didn't break my bank or anything), but because of the view! And I suppose also that it was a private room for the two of us with a private bathroom, but I think the view takes the cake.
This is the view you could see from the little balcony that was right off of the bed. The church above the houses is the very famous and extremely beautiful Sacre Coeur. The last time I visited France (in 2005)  it was probably by favourite places in Paris.
Here is the view as seen right through the curtains!

 We spent most of Saturday walking around the Sacre Coeur area. Even the views before you walk up the 300 stairs to the top of the church (known as the dome) are amazing. Because Sacre Coeur sits on a hill, you get a panoramic, 360 degree view of Paris. It nearly takes your breath away. You can spot almost all the famous spots - Le Louvre, L'Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, The Pompidou Center, and more. We went out for dinner in a small little courtyard I found when I randomly let a local the Wednesday before the weekend. Basically there are about four restaurants in a square and all around it are just local artists that paint so beautifully (many even do on the spot portraits that are exact replicas of the person in front of them).

Ariel view from part way up Sacre Coeur of the little courtyard filled with restaurants and artists.
We then sat on the steps of Sacre Coeur for a while, eating gelatto and enjoying the presence of many others also enjoying the day (it felt like mid-summer despite the fact that almost every other day I have been here has looked rainy or has been raining; except, now that I think of it, the day I hiked with Fouad, lucky!).  There were also a few musicians on the steps to keep us entertained, and from what I remember from my last trip there are even more during the summer.

We then took on the task of climbing to the dome of the church. The stairs are very narrow most of the way and extremely circular, so you almost feel dizzy when you reach the top. However, the trip has one spot where you end up outside about halfway which is perfect. The views from Sacre Coeur were as stunning as I remembered. The fact that the dome is open to the outside air makes it even more exhilarating; the wind blows in your hair as you glance out over all of Paris. Here are a few examples. I could give you so many (I got a little trigger heavy with my camera, but I will try not to bog you down too much).

Moi up the dome, at one of the many beautiful views.
La tour eiffel was one of many of the known Parisian monuments that could be spotted from the dome.

Belinda at one of the other amazing views!
After returning to our hostel to check in, we headed to the Eiffel Tower. Belinda did not know that the Eiffel tower "sparkled" on the hour, every hour after dark. I love seeing others' responses when they see that for the first time, and I am sure it will happen again. It still astonishes me every time I see it myself; I don't see myself getting sick of it anytime soon.

The best picture I have to date of the Tour Eiffel sparkling. I have discovered it to be quite the challenge to nicely photograph.

Belinda and I by the Eiffel Tower just before it began to sparkle. I find it is even pretty as is.
The grass in front of the Eiffel Tower is quite the hang out place. People drink, listen to music, and we even saw a group of friends playing leap frog. It can serve as a pre-drink, or I think for many, a substitute for the bar! I hope to spend more time there this year!
Fouad and his brother picked us up later on, and we went to "Chatelets" which was a tad like the market in Ottawa (for those of you local Ottawarians). There were a bunch of bars and restaurants. Fouad wanted to take Belinda to "Cafe Oz", Paris' attempt at an Aussie bar. To be honest, it wasn't too off - it included table dancing, Fosters (and I saw Toohey's New too), and no real dress code (may have been off on the no "thongs" aka thong sandals). I was excited for Fouad to meet Belinda, since she is a Kiwi afterall, and Fouad did spend 10 months in New Zealand.
Sunday we had planned to go to le Louvre, and I guess technically we did despite not going inside. We saw the famous triangle, but then noticed how close L'Arc de Triomphe was and ended up going for a nice (and unfortunately wet due to the Parisian weather I have been used to returning) stroll. She was able to see Les Champs Elysee for the first time! We stopped in a few shops (Virgin Megastore to recharge my cell, which was much more complicated in French and the salesman looked at me like I had 5 heads for getting confused by the extremely fast and quiet recording I heard when calling the number to recharge) and also got a sandwich from the French shop called  'Paul' (I had never heard of it Belinda said it was French and good, and I did agree my sandwich was quite delicious despite being simple - likely due to the amazing quality of bread here).

Belinda and I exterior to Le Louvre.
Les Champs Elysee! Not far from my French Courses either (I begin September 29 and I am looking quite forward to it). I may be here a lot :)

I have randomly nurtured a love for jumping pictures. I may have to try to get one in front of all the monuments I visit in Paris. Here you see Sacre Coeur (minus the GIGANTIC tour bus; it can be quite the challenge to get good pictures at these touristy sites due to the massive crowds even though its pretty much fall).
 Belinda briefly visited Le Louvre Sunday night, but I was soaked and had to head home to get briefed for Monday by my "host mom". I returned after dropping Louis (the 8 year old) off at school and after doing two loads of laundry and some ironing (yes I do manage to do a little work). We spend her last hours of Paris browsing historic artworks. Many most of you wont know, but I do know you all know the Mona Lisa. And I will soon be more educated to give more details, as I purchased a year pass with unlimited entry (only 15 Euros, quite a steal if you ask me!).

Victory of Samothrace. Created 220-185 BC. Originated from the Island of Samothrace, Greece. Goddesses were used early in Greece history to symbolize concepts such as Peace, Fortune, and Justice. Victory was one of those goddesses, with large wings enabling her to fly over the earth spreading news of victory whether it be athletics or battle. She would present the victor with their price, for example a crown or trophy and we play a role in ceremonies of sacrifice completed by the victor the thank the gods. If you're interested in more information visit this site: http://www.louvre.fr/templates/llv/flash/victoiredesamothrace/victoiredesamothrace_acc_en.html.
Drum roll.... Mona Lisa! I am going to be brutally honest, she is not quite as astonishing as some of the other works in Le Louvre. Had to say it. BUT her eyes do always following you.... they're looking at you right now!

I shall end with this - the painting of paintings... pun intended ;)
And that concludes the lovely tale of when a Canuck met a Kiwi in the land of the Frenchies (Frogs the internet says is the nickname for the French, but this may possibly be insulting. I have yet to find out). It truly is a small world afterall, and I am excited to experience this epiphany more in the months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment